It is a battle of the sexes and it looks like the women have come out on top. The long rumoured 'all male' revival of Ghostbusters has officially been pulled. No directors, no Tatum, and no Pratt means our dreams were melted quicker than a Stay Puft marshmallow man.
Hopes were previously dashed when producer Ivan Reitman stated:
There is only one new Ghostbusters movie and that is the Paul Feig-directed version coming next July, presently filming and going fantastically. The rest is just noise.
The original film debuted in 1984 and spawned a successful sequel in 1989. Although original stars like Sigourney Weaver, Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray will appear in the reboot, it is left to receptionist Chris Hemsworth to carry the man candy of the female film. We had still held our proton streams high in hope, but as of now, an all male version has been pulled. So what happened?
Captain America: Civil War's writers Joe and Anthony Russo were on board to direct and original 'buster' Dan Aykroyd promised something that would explore the "mythology and spirituality" of Ghostbusters and more planned sequels. Screenwriter Drew Pearce even told MTV that he had finished a draft of the script for the Russo brothers.
But it appears that the pair are just too busy writing the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War, meaning Ghostbusters is "off the table". Joe Russo told Forbes:
There was a period there when Paul Feig was engaging Sony in talks about Ghostbusters and we were also engaging them. He was further along with his process than we were and he closed his deal so that’s the only Ghostbusters world that’s being explored right now over at Sony.
So for now it looks like the ladies are ruling the roost over at the Ghostbusters HQ. Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon strap on their proton packs for a July 15 release. You can check out the trailer below.